Picasso was a central figure for ceramic art in the Post-war period in Italy, thanks to the great solo exhibitions arranged in Rome and Milan in 1953, on the occasion “Guernica” was exposed. For the first time the audience and the Italian artists were able to admire Picasso’s artistic career from his debut, thanks to an anthological exhibition showing also his recent ceramic production made in Vallauris, in the south of France, at the Madoura manufacture of the Ramié spouses, starting from 1946. Picasso was the representative of a new ceramic production looking back to the painting on classical old-style surfaces, of course updated and made more expressive through contemporary decorations. The vase and the dish overcame their functional dimension to become sculptures, the decorations became paintings, the colours on the surface were bright and shocking. The artists started to draw over the ceramic surface the new expressive tendencies linked to the contemporary avant-gardes, they came back to the figurative expression testifying their will of going beyond the classical style typical of the Fascist era.
Matteucci was a sculptor and a ceramist who started his career in the workshops of Pietro Melandri, where he could demonstrate his excellent talent in sculpture, mainly working in the figurative field. In the Forties he produced his well-known middle sized ships, elaborated sculptures rich of numerous figures in a narrative concept. Starting from the Fifties he experimented the informal art using different material and reaching smooth sculptural results.
Vase with dancers
Meli’s poetic regards sculptural works based on a painting inspired to Picasso’s work. The vase has lost its practical characteristic, this “jug”, decorated with figures of fighters and abstract patterns, become an original sculpture which allowed him to achieve important awards among them the Faenza Prize in 1953. His repertoire was influenced by the “archaic-fauve” poetic and inspired to the Mediterranean decorations made modern through lively chromatic signs.
cm 56.5 x diameter 29
Painter, engraver, ceramist, Zancanaro started his experience in ceramics during the Fifties after a study of the material and the technique in the museums and in the places of production from Sciacca (south of Italy) to Rosenthal Manufacture (Germany). His passion for ceramic is so intense that he built a ceramic kiln in his studio in order to experiment a new expressive tendency also influenced by the Greek painting on vessels that he interpreted in a totally original way, with picassian influences.
Majolica with luster glaze decorations
diameter cm 48